Field Work Methods/Safety Specialist
||Jan 16, 2020
To support operational growth, Forbes Bros is looking for a Field Work Methods Specialist to work with our Transmission and Distribution crews in the Ontario. Based out of the Thunder Bay Area and reporting to Operations Management and the Director of Work Methods the successful candidate will be responsible to ensure Forbes Bros Safety, Quality, and Productivity programs are enforced and followed by the field staff and take the lead on all incident investigations. They will also be responsible to help develop or improve current work methods as projects and client requirements change.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
The accountabilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Providing guidance to field employees and Foreman/Supervisors on the proper/safe execution of work tasks according to client and company standards.
- Providing field employees development and mentorship to build competencies.
- Developing technical work practices to improve safety, quality and consistency.
- Monitoring compliance to applicable worker protection and utility codes including equipotential bonding and grounding requirements.
- Collaborating with field employees, supervisors and managers to identify and execute opportunities for continual improvement.
- Assisting in the development of bid document components related to safety or technical aspects.
- Acting as a change agent in the transition to a 100% safe work mindset.
- Ensuring Company, Provincial, Federal, and Client HSE requirements are met.
- Conducting site inspections, audits, tailboard meetings, safety, quality meetings, orientations, training, incident investigations and assist with competency assessments.
- Working closely with Operations Management in managing aspects of HSE including incident prevention, training compliance and addressing concerns.
- Reporting all incidents, client HSE concerns and regulatory involvement to Operational Management.
- Assist in hazard assessments, work instructions, and integrated work plans as required.
- Actively engaging workers and supervisors by having a focused field presence to improve safety performance and address concerns.
- Leading by example, continually showing support of the client and company HSE initiatives.
Education and Experience
- 10 plus years’ experience as a Journeyperson Powerline Technician managing field crews in the utility construction industry.
- Journeyperson Powerline Technician trade certification is required.
- Working knowledge of industry work practices, procedures, safety applications and OH&S requirements.
- Training/education in the field of OH&S is an asset
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Strong leadership and team building skills, including the ability to lead by example, build consensus, actively listen, and engage/influence employees at all levels.
- Focused on solutions and outcomes-purposeful in all dealings.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to be communicate and interact effectively with all levels of management, employees and clients.
- Ability to work independently with little direction and with a sense of ownership and personal commitment to a 100% safe work culture.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work with clients to achieve desired results.
- Task-oriented with strong attention to detail and follow through.
- Strong multi-tasking and prioritization skills with the ability to adapt to change.
- Works well in a fast paced, change-oriented team setting.
- Ability to travel to support project activities across Canada when required.
This position is field based and requires candidates to:
- Have and maintain a valid driver's license and acceptable driver's abstract.
- Successfully complete pre-access drug and alcohol testing.
Forbes Bros offers competitive compensation, a comprehensive benefit package, Pension, and rewarding career opportunities!
Forbes Bros is an equal opportunity employer committed to best practice recruiting and hiring, to promote gender equity and workplace diversity. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates who meet the requirements noted and who earn an invitation to interview will be contacted.