To support operational growth Forbes Bros is looking for Project Environmental Specialist to join their HS&E Project Team in Thunder Bay, Ontario!
Reporting to Corporate Environmental, and working daily with Operations and Project Management - the successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring that project operational activities, undertaken or proposed by Forbes Bros, are aligned with project construction environmental management/protection plans, regulations and all other relevant environmental documents and commitments.
The day-to-day responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and implementing specialized environmental plans for each project segment/area, to ensure that work is completed in compliance with all relevant client requirements as well as provincial and/or federal regulations
- Evaluate compliance with applicable customer standards and commitments:
- Construction Environmental Management Plans
- Cultural and Heritage Resources Protection Plans
- Environmental Alignment Sheets & Work Instruction Packages
- Wildlife Resource and Habitat Protection / Mitigation Plans
- Soil, Erosion and Sediment Control Plans
- Vegetation, Weed & Pest Management Plans
- Monitoring and proactive reporting of any potential environmental issues to the project manager and recommending the implementation of appropriate corrective actions
- Recommending mitigation measures for implementation and ensuring work is completed in compliance with client requirements as well as provincial and/or federal regulations
- Training of employees and contractors on environmental awareness and aspect controls
- Working closely with customer environmental teams, to ensure requirements are achieved
As the successful candidate, you have:
- Construction Environmental Monitoring experience
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced work environment
- Willingness to work in remote project locations, embedded with operational work groups
- Demonstrated skills in written and verbal communication, coordinating resources as well as the ability to analyze data and solve problems
- Excellent analytic skills and the ability to organize and express ideas clearly
- Strong knowledge of provincial and federal regulations, codes, permits and approvals; as well as their technical application
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with FBL personnel, clientele and outside representatives of applicable regulatory agencies.
- University diploma or degree in the Environmental Sciences or equivalent;
- Graduation from an accredited college or university in environmental science, physical or biological science, or a closely related field;
- Certification in environmental specialty area preferred; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Professional designation (EP, P.Biol., P.Ag., etc.) in place or qualify for application for these, considered to be an asset
- Knowledge/experience with Management Systems and audit tools including: ISO 14001, ISO 26000, Sustainable Development and CSR reporting.
- Experience working with and providing training to First Nations people (BEAHR Training, etc.)
- 2 or more years of experience within the Construction Industry, preferably Power Transmission segment
- 4 plus years’ experience within the environmental sector (regulatory, consulting, non-government)
- Experience with the application, compliance and tracking of permits (specifically in Ontario) would be considered an asset.
This position is project field based and requires candidates to:
- Have and maintain a valid driver's license and acceptable driver's abstract
- Successfully complete pre-employment drug and alcohol testing
- Willing to travel to other Provinces for Projects
- Extended stays in Camp environments
Forbes Bros offers competitive compensation, a comprehensive benefit package, company vehicle and a rewarding employee pension plan!
Forbes Bros is an equal opportunity employer committed to best practice recruiting and hiring, to promote gender equity and workplace diversity. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates who meet the requirements noted and who earn an invitation to interview will be contacted.